Wednesday, April 14, 2010

N7 Update

So I'm working part time now to focus more on my own projects, getting a better porfolio, and doing work around the house. Which is exciting, because while I might now be incredibly poor, I know I'm going to finish my costumes before comic con! Woo! lol

Well, tonight I took a break from Grunt (poor guy) and worked on melting some Chavant onto my mannequin for the N7 armor. Here's how I do it...

I get a crock pot from target for 14 dollars, dump the clay in, and let it sit for a while until it's melted. Then I take some sort of scooping device, scoop it onto the body and smooth it out with a rake. I'm using Chavant because it's harder and doesn't dry out, mostly. It'll be easier to get those angular shapes that are really subtle without having to let the clay dry enough to break off the base like wed clay would.

Here are some pics!

Chavant mess: Crock pot, heat lamp, alien-proof tin foil box for heating up.


This looks messy, because it is. I've just melted the clay onto the body (the tape is the edges of the armor) and now I'll start smoothing it, sculpting it, etc etc. It's going to take a while, but it's a start. I'll be updating soon!

1 comment:

Eleni said...

This will be interesting to see as it progresses. It's nice to see the process and the messy materials.