Sunday, June 13, 2010

Armor Making, Krogan Style pt 1

Well today we started to piece together the armor for Grunt. really it's just a lot of thin, durable fiberglass work.

Now, this is only one way you can do something like this. If this project had the time and money of a movie, we'd probably be sculpting, molding, and casting all of these armor pieces perfectly. Which I would love, love to do. But this is not the case (cries). So! We're building the body suit on the body cast, and then piecing the armor on top of that. I didn't take any pictures tonight (I was too busy making things) but I'll for sure be getting some up tomorrow as I cut up the pieces into actual armor.

So keep watching! In the meantime, here's the video I just posted of me in the Shepard armor....enjoy!!



Oh, and here's Tayler working on a Tali leg. Or making a flux capacitor. I'm not sure which. Dangerous SCIENCE!


Edit: 

The lovely Shumworld over at Deviantart drew us a bit of fan art for this video...wait for the end to see the inspiration. I love it!! He's done a few others too, so go see!

13 comments:

Eixyn said...

Where's ctrl+z!? I need an adult!! O.o

Sarah Dungan said...

Yay dangerous science!

Eleni said...

Ooh, the back of the armor looks great, too. I guess in video games they don't have to worry so much about shoulder armor getting in the way--you just get clipping issues rather than impaired movement.

Man, Grunt is already so cool even with just an unfinished head. Can't wait to see how he looks with armor.

Hush Money said...

I can't describe how impressed I am at this project. Ever since I saw the coverage on Kotaku, I've been dying to see the finished Krogan costume. It all just really impresses me and I can't express my appreciation for this enough, but keep up the good work!

Liv said...

This is so, so epic.

Retsnimel said...

Awesome, yes that's the word for it !!

Sean Regalado said...

Love the costume! It looks so professional. Is the armor all made from fiberglass? My god it looks so good!

servbot001 said...

wow, good job Holly and Crew...I saw the post on Kotaku about your plans for SDCC and I'm truly amazed. Keep it up. Being of the tiny perspective of things (ie, I work on sculpting and action figures), I'm proud we all are getting out there and showing off our talents. WOOT! Also, I'm gonna have to make a gif of Holly doing the robot because she can't move my arms...watching that all day could possibly make me happy...lol. ;) Keep it up!

servbot001 said...

make me die happy...gah...see what happens when we nerdgasm...lol

Suthainn said...

The armour looks amazing already, I can't imagine just how good the totally finished version will be. Really looking forwards to Grunt as well, hell, they should just use these and you for the movie! Also, where's the Commander Holly Shepard romance subplot, that armour is hot ;)

Eleni said...

Oh gosh, I just saw the other two Shumworld pieces as well. So funny! Shepard is a great dancer, haha.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

fiber glass products said...

Soo good!
I'm waiting for some materials to arrive so that I can finally start on my very own Omni blade!